Cloud Software Security Examined
Cloud software security is critically important. Take, for example, health care: Doctors and other healthcare professionals are one of the biggest users of cloud software, yet recent studies demonstrate that more than 15 percent are considered to be operating at a high risk of security breaches, and more than half are operating at a medium risk.
Security breaches can be devastating to almost any large industry. Companies must take accurate measures to ensure the safety of cloud computing software, as hackers are all too eager to break into a computer system and do what they seem to do best.
Fortunately, there are a number of ways to increase security of data and apps in the cloud. Increasing cloud software security is almost like an insurance policy that affords valuable protection.
Taking Steps to Increase Cloud Security
The first step in building an effective cloud security plan is to conduct a complete internal audit that includes all current cloud providers. All internal security personnel should participate in the auditing process.
Once the auditing process is complete, companies should take the following measures:
- Security personnel must take steps to ensure all company data is correctly encrypted. Having a secure encryption process in place will increase cloud security significantly.
- IT and/or security department should create an authentication process, which will help ensure all cloud software, as well as highly confidential internal information and related files, are secure.
- All new internal applications should undergo in-house developmental testing. Well-organized developmental testing procedures will guarantee that new applications are secure at the time they are released. This procedure is highly effective and also should increase cloud software security, when done correctly.
- Security solutions must be created that accurately scan and store various binary codes. What’s more, security solutions must be created internally. Runtime makes it extremely difficult to detect any security breach or potential vulnerability. Failure to detect or recognize a potential security flaw can prove disastrous for any organization.
- Use a web application scanning program for better security and safety. Use a provider that secures and monitors all web applications on a continual basis, as well as multiple scanning on a single platform. Multiple scanning will produce increased accuracy as well as unified results.
- Use one platform for all multiple assessment tasks to heighten cloud security. Using one platform will enable security personnel to identify and address an open-source risk quickly.
- Utilize streamline compliance centralization tools, which permit access to direct access to applications for compliance. Applications for compliance should include access to PCI controls and CWE. Both PCI and CWE can be used to make sure corporate compliance requirements are being met.
- Develop a system of continual compliance., which will monitor the system for any existing vulnerability or security concern. In addition, this unique system will fully access and examine any and all applications before they are released or deployed. Finally, the system of continual compliance will automatically conduct regular searches to identify all web applications that are related to a specific company domain. Any temporary sites also will be searched and properly identified. A continual compliance system is highly effective when properly utilized.
There are many ways in which cloud software security can be enhanced. It may be a wise decision to consult with a security and compliance specialist. Many large and small organizations are now utilizing the services that security and compliance companies can offer.
The Importance of Cloud Security Enhancement for Businesses
In this of age of advanced computer technology it is becoming easier for hackers to access highly sensitive information from just about any organization. It is sad to say, but there are people who have made careers out of computer hacking. Many computer hackers are never brought to justice. Therefore, it is critical that organizations take the necessary steps to protect all computer software as well as sensitive company information that should never be released to the public.
Having efficient software testing tools is the first step when looking to increase or improve cloud software security. Efficient testing tools will help an organization to better identify any security problem or vulnerability that may be present. If vulnerability is identified, the next step is to fix the problem and prevent additional security breaches in the future.
Keeping company software and critical files safe must be a No. 1 priority. If critical internal information is compromised, it can cause severe damage that may be irreparable.
About the Author / Reed Gusmus
Reed Gusmus the director of Marketing at QASymphony. Gusmus is an award-winning, passionate and innovative B2B marketing leader who excels at prescribing winning strategies for new customer acquisition and revenue-driving solutions for SaaS companies looking to get more from their marketing investment. Connect with him on LinkedIn and Twitter.