DevOps and cloud computing are not mutually exclusive, though their relationship has often been uncertain and confusing from a layman’s perspective. While cloud computing relates to technology and services, DevOps is more about processes and process improvement. However, both DevOps and cloud computing are vital in every organization’s journey toward an effective digital transformation.
Cloud-centric DevOps Automation
Cloud computing’s centralized nature enables a standard and centralized platform for DevOps automation. Using a cloud platform resolves issues in centralized software deployment caused by the distributed nature of enterprise systems.
DevOps objectives including continuous integration (CI) and continuous delivery (CD) are supported by most of the private and public cloud service providers. This ensures centralized governance and control, in addition to reducing the costs associated with DevOps automation on-premises. DevOps utilizes orchestration systems that can proactively monitor the cloud data sets and application workloads. End-to-end automation is a prerequisite for deriving the full advantage from the cloud.
By expanding the concept of continuous improvement to cloud-based platforms, DevOps ensures lesser system vulnerabilities and greater security.
DevOps Best Practices for Effective Cloud-Based Computing
DevOps provides several core capabilities that assist organizations in effectively handling cloud challenges. These include:
- Infrastructure as Code (IAC): IAC comprises the provisioning of servers and installation of application code, the core components of the system architecture.
- Automated Application Deployments: DevOps practices facilitate the creation of a fully automated application deployment pipeline that is of great importance in the development life cycle.
- Application Lifecycle Management (ALM): DevOps principles such as continuous integration and delivery help in effective ALM in the cloud.
- Continuous Quality Assurance (QA) and Testing: DevOps capabilities address the challenges for QA and testing in the cloud by provisioning multiple test environments using cloud-based resources that result in enhanced quality and productivity.
- Knowledge-Sharing with the Cloud Provider: DevOps promotes the concept of knowledge sharing between organizations and SMEs of the cloud service providers throughout the application life cycle using online communities that are focused on fostering communication and collaboration, thereby ensuring that most risks are mitigated effectively.
The Significance of Cloud Computing vis-á-vis DevOps
Cloud computing complements DevOps in several ways. The application-specific infrastructure in the cloud enables developers to own more components easily and enhance their productivity and efficiency. It allows developers to create the development environments quickly without the need for IT operations to provision resources and infrastructure.
Cloud computing ensures flexible IT infrastructure in addition to enabling greater business agility. It propels IT transformation by helping organizations in streamlining and embedding DevOps processes.
DevOps tools and services eliminate human error and help in establishing repeatability by automating and streamlining the process of building and managing code.
IT Transformation Enabled by DevOps with Cloud Technology
Cloud computing coupled with DevOps ensures that scalability becomes an integral part of application development, thereby contributing to reduced infrastructure costs and increased global reach.
Cloud-based operations increase the availability and failover ability of applications in addition to eliminating downtime, which leads to improved business reliability and rise in customer satisfaction.
DevOps automation and IAC help in reducing the complexity of the cloud and improving system maintenance. Additionally, the automated repeatable processes increase security controls. Process streamlining and faster access to the development environments ensure improved product time to market.
By realizing the importance and prioritizing the usage of DevOps in the cloud, organizations can derive a huge number of potential benefits including enhanced agility and reduced operational costs.